When to Lubricate Your Printer
After approximately 50 hours of build time, you should lubricate the threaded rod on your Z-axis and the X-axis idler pulley.
You can lubricate the threaded rod and the idler pulley with the tube of PTFE-based grease included in the package with your the MakerBot Replicator 2X. If you have used up this tube of grease, PTFE-based grease is available on the MakerBot Store.
How to Lubricate the Threaded Rod and Idler Pulley
- Grasp both sides of the build platform and push it gently to the bottom of the MakerBot Replicator 2X.
- Use a clean, lint-free rag [or your finger] to spread the PTFE-based grease onto as much of the threaded rod as you can reach. Make sure you get the grease inside the threads themselves. Grasp both sides of the build platform and move it to the top of the MakerBot Replicator 2X.
- Use a clean, lint-free rag (or your finger) to spread the PTFE-based grease onto the bottom section of the threaded rod. Make sure you get the grease inside the threads themselves.
- Locate the X-axis idler pulley. Facing the front of the MakerBot Replicator 2X, the idler pulley is at the top left side.
- The idler pulley is one of the pulleys that allow the rubber belt to move the extruder from left to right, or along the X-axis. The pulley at the other side of the gantry is called the timing pulley and does not require lubrication.
- Squeeze a small amount of the PTFE-based grease directly onto the exposed area of the metal rod inside the idler pulley and manually move the pulley back and forth to spread the grease.
This video contains a demonstration of how to lubricate the Z-axis rod and X-axis idler pulley:
Lubricating the axis-rod and idler pulley is part of Maintaining Your MakerBot Replicator 2X.