When to Realign the Gantry
The gantry is the system of rods and belts that moves the extruder. If one side is too far out of alignment with the other, the outlines of printed objects might appear slanted on the build plate. You should make sure you gantry is aligned after moving or jolting your MakerBot Replicator 2.
How to Realign the Gantry
To determine whether your gantry is aligned correctly, push the extruders all the way to the front of the MakerBot Replicator 2. Hold the right side of the gantry against the front of the MakerBot Replicator 2. Then try pushing the left side forwards. It should not move.
If it does move, perform the following steps:
- Turn off the MakerBot Replicator 2.
- Unscrew the bolts on each of the makerBot Replicator 2 side panels. Set the bolts and panels aside.
- Locate the four pulleys holding the Y-axis belts. There is one pulley in each corner of the MakerBot Replicator 2 upper frame. You will see two pulleys in the back right corner of the MakerBot Replicator 2. You will be adjusting the pulley closer to the center of the MakerBot Replicator 2.
- For each pulley, manually move the extruders backwards or forwards to rotate the pulley until you have a clear view of the set screw holding the pulley to the front or back gantry rod. Use the 1.5 mm hex wrench from the Accessory Box to loosen each set screw.
- Manually move the extruders to the front of the MakerBot Replicator 2, as far forward as they will go. Make sure that the plastic pieces on both sides of the gantry are flush against the plastic brackets that hold the two front pulleys.
- Use the 1.5 mm hex wrench to tighten the set screw in each of the two back pulleys. Make sure these set screws are very tight.
- Manually move the extruders toward the back of the MakerBot Replicator 2. Make sure the gantry is as far back as it can go.
- Use the 1.5 mm hex wrench to tighten the set screw in each of the two front pulleys. Make sure these set screws are very tight.
NOTE: If you cannot see one of the set screws, hold both sides of the gantry and very gently push it away from the back of the MakerBot Replicator 2. Make sure to exert an equal amount of pressure on both sides of the gantry. Push only until you can see the hidden set screw.
When you have completed these steps, your gantry will be correctly aligned again.